This guide will walk you through creating a new course “shell,” as well as course setup.
Note: Please be aware that although creating a new course is reserved only as a Site Admin feature, course setup can be completed by those with editing and full access. We will discuss these roles below.
Create Course Shell
To create a new course:
- Click on the “Create” button in the upper right-hand corner of your admin account.
- Select “Create a Course” in the dropdown menu.
- Now, add the course title, a course ID, and a description. Click “Continue.”
You can come back to edit these fields at any time.
Note: You will now continue to the Course Info page.
Edit Course Information
Opening a course allows you to edit all course information, add course tags, and manage facilitators.
To open a course:
- Navigate to your homepage.
- Find the course under “Administered Courses.” If you have many courses, you may need to click “See All” to view others.
- Click on the course.
- Click on the “Course Info” tab.
Course Info Page
Your Course Info page includes:
- Cover Video
- Course ID
- Course Title
- Course Description
- Course Tags
- Course Assets
- Redemption Code(s)
- Start Date
- End Date
- Meet Times
- Completion and Certificates
This view also allows you to manage course visibility and allows access to your admin tools.
Note: Site admins, instructors (full access), and editors (editing access) can all edit the Course Info page.
Control course visibility.
To get started, click on the “Make Changes” button on the course’s Course Info page.
Discoverable in Catalog
The “Discoverable in Catalog” field allows you to toggle course visibility within the course catalog.
- Off: This option will keep the course private. This means that the course will not show up in the public course catalog. No one will be able to enroll in the course unless you provide them with the course redemption code.
- On: This will allow the course to display in the course catalog. This means that when a site user clicks on the course catalog, the course will display and the learner can view basic course information and enroll in the course.
This option defines when the course becomes available for learners to begin.
- Draft: This option makes the course invisible to learners while you create and edit your course; however, if you want to allow early enrollment, you can set the course Status to “Draft” and Discoverable to “On.” This will allows learners to enroll, but the content will remain invisible.
- Published: This option allows the course to be fully available to users.
- Publish on Start Date: This option sets the course to be in course preview mode until the defined start date and time, at which time it will then become fully available to users.
Note: By default the course will be “Off” for Discoverable in Catalog and in “Draft.”